1. the secret worked. obama is going to lead our country into a new era of hope and change. he brings hope to a generation that never had it. and that makes me proud to be an american. i watched the election at susie lopez's house where she had a smorgasbord of delicious vegan dishes- chili, mac n' cheese, cornbread, cobbler... and champagne. i was so touched that she invited me over and shared her home with me on the greatest day of our nation's history (since i've been alive).
2. i am venturing into a new chapter in my career. i left my life at marc jacobs and am beginning a new start at maison martin margiela. this was a very, very bittersweet goodbye. i love my marc jacobs babies and i am sure going to miss them.
3. chopped off my hair. my long, silver strands were getting to be a burden, sadly. no amount of fancy conditioner or product would revive the ends and it felt like synthetic doll hair. i have not had short hair since i was 17, and it is going to take some getting used to, that is for certain. i just want to start over so i can grow my hair to my waist-length fantasy. without looking like a crazy banshee. thankfully amy merrick gave me enough courage to go for a chop. i felt like when rayanne graff convinces angela to dye her hair...
"so when rayanne graff told me my hair was holding me back, i had to listen. 'cause she wasn't just talking about my hair. she was talking about my life. "
4. received the sweetest goodbye present from susie lopez, and the lopez clan. inside a collaged bag was tucked an early printing of alice in wonderland/through the looking glass and an obama t shirt. how did i get to be so lucky? i am in love with this book and have it on the windowsill by my bed next to my le petit prince educational edition. and now i finally have a shirt with my president on it.
5. had a goodbye cocktail hour with andrew and keetin on wednesday; had a goodbye dinner with amy at freeman's yesterday; and a goodbye dinner with john gardner tonight at inoteca. life is good.
6. came home to find a postcard from amy. she has been one of my biggest inspirations. she has shown me there can be life after marc jacobs, a concept i never believed could be true.
i loved working for marc jacobs. it will always be my favorite brand. it was the brand that inspired me to go to design school and the brand that moved me from savannah to new york. i met some of the most incredible people, who i love with all of my heart. of all the parties, the clothing, the fashion shows... the people were the best part, hands-down. i feel like dorothy saying farewell to oz. and it makes my heart hurt. but in a good way. i met so many lions, tinmans, and glendas.
and scarecrows.. i will miss you most of all. you know who you are.
i love lisa and amy. they share so many things with their baby sister. family visits to meet the president. photos of a tree heart found on a hike with a boy. i am very proud of my big sisters every day. both so smart. so thoughtful. so talented. so generous. so supportive.
thank you for taking care of me.
oh how i love any excuse to play dress up! and i love that my cute girlfriends always will be something crafty and adorable. i have yet to see any naughty nurses or naughty cops or naughty french maid costumes surface from this talented gaggle of gal pals. i love these sweet girls and i am so glad they are in my life. unfortunately my camera died as soon as i arrived to christine cho's apartment in brooklyn (thank you for being such a lovely hostess). i wasn't able to capture all of my favorite costumes of the night, but this is a pretty good compilation (thank you chelsea cook and amy merrick). happy(belated) halloween darlings.
1. finally snapped a photo of my favorite sign in the west village. apparently, so legend goes, there is an artist who lives in this apartment and his home is filled with drawings and fashion plates and paintings galore. and every day he tries to practice one random act of kindness. sounds like what i will be like as an old lady. i hope.
2. went to the chelsea market with kristen and had a lovely lunch. i haven't been in so long and it really is a neat little spot. each vendor peddles such yummy goodies-eleni cookies, fat witch brownies, ronnybrook cremerie...i could go on and on and on.
3. received the most darling package in the mail from my sweet halligan norris, the talented creator of the tiniest treasures you'd ever did see! she sent the most thoughtful care package to pete, chelsea, and i and inside she adorable wrapped a vintage, navy chiffon 1920s dress with tiny, repeat pattern hand embroidery. so precious and perfect.
4. had a hot toddy (my first ever)with keaton. this really is a cold weather treat. we sat at the bar at cafe cluny and had a lovely presentation-the elixir was steeped with whole cinnamon sticks in a french press carafe and garnished with lemon slices. i felt like i should have been curled up on a velvet, tufted chair. in a cabin. surrounded by books.
5. found photos in my inbox of one of my make-shift, last minute halloween party costumes from the coacd party, courtesy of kathy lo. i'm supposed to be lydia deetz from beetlejuice, but i think i just look like some creepy goth vampire. oh well...i just have lots of black clothing...
6. played cards with a stranger. this kind boy who works at the mud coffee bar inside the kiehl's store in the east village asked me if i knew how to play crazy eights. how serendipitous! this is my absolute favorite childhood card game, and quite frankly, the only one i actually can remember the rules. slowly but surely, and with a few memory lapses, i recalled the game and played three rounds with him. i think i want to be a complete old lady and have bridge night with my girlfriends...any takers?
7. cleaned my apartment. an impromptu surprise visit from my coworkers during the wee hours of the night inspired me to reign in the chaos. or at least clean all of the surfaces. keeping a tidy home is no fun when there is no furniture to entertain guests with. come december, however, i will be accompanying my fiancé on a long journey from georgia to new york in a u-haul. i have lots of treasures tucked away, just waiting to come to the big apple. and lord knows how much eddie is looking forward to that drive (thank you thank you my darling man).
8. had a lovely date with peter at inoteca. i love my sweet pete. i don't tell him enough...
my newest heart stop the supermelon...
thank you jenna fain and the supermelon for letting me be a part of this website. it was one of the loveliest interviews i've ever had and jenna was more than a delight to correspond with. i am continually amazed by the sweet girls i connect with through the blogosphere. it really is one big daisy chain of kindness.
this photo was forwarded to me by the lovely dana gluck. here is a quote about the photo. "we are a group of young obama supporters who have produced the attached photograph as part of our effort to encourage youth participation in the upcoming election. the photo, taken by casey brooks, a brooklyn photographer, was inspired by the famous protest poster of joan baez and her sisters from the 1960s taken by larry gates (also attached).
i am proud to have voted for this man. and i am proud of all the young folks who are banding together to make a change. grey skies are going to clear up...
the adventure starts here.
1. the incredibly talented and ever-so darling photographer, anouck bertin, borrowed chelsea, pete, and my bows for a photoshoot. i have never seen our work professionally photographed and it was just kind of exciting. anouck really has such a fantastic, whimsical aesthetic which is right up year and a day's alley.
2. had a very exciting morning that kept me smiling all day...will tell details later.
3. had an impromptu breakfast with grainne belluomo and adrian muniz. i am going to miss grainne so much when she leaves for chicago. she is quite beloved by all who meet her and i can't even imagine what it is going to be like when moves. kindhearted. magnaminous. loyal. side-splittingly hilarious. sincere. i am quite positive i know a certain group of boys who will mourn the loss of their snow white. i will too.
4. new magazine day! i stocked up on french vogue, american vogue, teen vogue, and...country living. i like to throw a curveball every now and then to mix things up.
5. purchased a ticket to see girl talk on tuesday, november 18th. i. am. obsessed. seeing a girl talk show is like going to the best dance party ever. everyone dances their little pants off and it is nothing but a sea of smiling faces. i can't wait!
6. my favorite west village darling, ara lopez learned how to make sound come from the whistles on my necklace. i laughed so hard, which made her giggle in delight, which caused me to fall into a full on fit of laughter! hands down one of the cutest baby tricks i've seen. watching her huff and puff with her little cheeks and then that squeal of self-achievement...priceless.